Biography

  • 2015

    Elected President of the European Association of Plastic Surgeons (EURAPS)
  • 2013

    Establishment of the "International Center for Facial Nerve Surgery" in Vienna
    Retirement from the Medical University of Vienna
  • 2012

    Elected President of the Austrian Society of Surgery ÖGC
  • 2011

    Elected Secretary General of the European Association of Plastic Surgeons (EURAPS)
  • 1996

    Appointed professor for plastic and reconstructive surgery at the medical faculty of the University of Vienna
    Appointed head of the Section for Plastic and Reconstructive surgery at Vienna General Hospital (University Hospital of Vienna)
  • 1994

    Nominated as associate professor by a majority vote of the medical faculty at the University of Zurich
  • 1993

    Awarded the Georg Friedrich Götz Prize (medical faculty at the University of Zurich)
  • 1992

    Appointed titular professor at the University of Zurich
  • 1989

    Venia legendi at the Medical Faculty of the University of Zurich
  • 1988

    Appointed doctor in charge of plastic surgery at the Clinic for Hand, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (Director: Prof. Dr. V. Meyer) at the surgery department of University Hospital Zurich
  • 1987-1988

    Appointed university professor for hand and microsurgery at the medical faculty of RWTH Aachen University, senior physician in the department for burns-related and plastic reconstructive surgery (Director: Prof. Dr. R. Hettich)
  • 1984

    Theodor Billroth Prize of the Austrian Society of Surgery
    Venia legendi with a particular focus on plastic and reconstructive surgery at the Medical Faculty of the University of Vienna.
  • 1982

    Additional board qualification for plastic and reconstructive surgery
  • 1976-1982

    Training in plastic and reconstructive surgery at the Department for Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (Prof. Dr. G. Freilinger) at the Second University Clinic for Surgery Vienna
  • 1978-1986

    Study trips
    Department of Plastic and Maxillofacial Surgery, Canniesburn Hospital, Glasgow (Prof. T. Gibson)
    Hand surgery department of B.U.K. hospital in Hamburg (Prof. Dr. D. Buck-Gramcko)
    Department for maxillary and facial surgery, Basel Cantonal Hospital (Prof. Dr. B. Spiessl)
    Department for maxillary and facial surgery at Linz General Hospital (Prof. Dr. R. Fries)
    Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, University Toronto/Canada (Prof. Dr. R. Manktelow)
    Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Springfield/Illinois (Prof. Dr. R. Russel)
    Mayo Clinic, Rochester/Minn. (Prof. I.T. Jackson, Prof. B.G. Arnold)
    Institute of Physiology, University of Michigan (Prof. Dr. J. Faulkner)
  • 1980

    Austrian board qualification for surgery
  • 1975-1976

    Holiday cover at the surgery department of Olten Cantonal Hospital/Switzerland (Dr. Laube) and the hospital of Kirchdorf an der Krems/Upper Austria (Prim. Dr. E. Wayand)
  • 1975-1980

    Specialist medical training as a surgeon at the Second University Clinic for Surgery Vienna (Prof. Dr. J. Navràtil)
  • 1974-1975

    Assistant physician at the Second Anatomical Institute of the University of Vienna (Prof. Dr. W. Zenker), scientific studies concerning the interrelations between muscle and nerve
  • 1971-1974

    Demonstrator and/or contract assistant at the Institute for Topographic Anatomy at the University of Vienna (Prof. Dr. W. Krause)
  • 1974

    Doctorate in medicine
  • 1986-1974

    Studies of medicine at the Medical Faculty of the University Vienna
  • 1968

    Higher School Certificate at the 2nd Bundesrealgymnasium in Linz/Donau
  • 1956-1968

    Primary and secondary school in Linz/Donau
  • 1950

    Born 17/08/1950 in Linz/Donau